Tuesday 5 August 2008

Making friends?

How do you make friends? It's a weird process. When you're at college or work or hang out with a crowd of friends it can be an easy and organic process, but when you are at home with children, it becomes a bit more awkward. Recently, I have tried the contacting random home educating families nearby method, which was odd. We've met quite a few people through that but the genuine friendships springing from shared interests and outlooks still grow quite slowly and it's a nerve-racking process a bit like answering a lonely hearts ad and going on a blind date.

So, I've started going to LLL meetings. This was my second one and though everyone was friendly and chatty, I find big groups of people quite stressful and it's hard to pick out individuals who you might have something more in common with. And then when you do feel you might click with a particular person, there's that awkward part where you try and transfer the friendship to a one-on-one thing rather than a 'see you at each meeting' kind of thing. Instead of being a blind date, it's now more akin to asking someone out on a first date.

Now I've never really 'dated' as such so I'm not sure how valid this comparison is, but it certainly feels quite weird to me. There's so much potential for feeling rejected or for feeling obligated to people you don't actually like, or both! I find people tricky at the best of times so I'm feeling quite exhausted now at making such a huge effort and speaking to lots of people I don't know trying to be friendly and chatty and open. I know it's the only way, but phew...

2 comments:

Cut&Alter said...

I know exactly what you mean! I also went to LLL when in NZ and there was a lovely group of ladies and their babies/toddlers but in the 20 months I went it never did progress to the one-on-one and yet when I saw them each month I was sure that a friendship could be made with a couple of them. But then with new baby, sleepless nights etc, etc it was hard to take it that step further. x

Liz said...

It is tricky, isn't it? And even if you can summon the energy to make the effort, you always worry you might come across as some crazy stalker type!