Saturday 9 August 2008

Slowly does it

Although it's not a new book by any means, In Praise of Slow: How a Worldwide Movement is Challenging the Cult of Speed: How a Worldwide Movement Is Challenging the Cult of Speed has just fallen into my hands and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Having read a lot of books on this kind of subject (and enjoyed them) including How to Be Free and Affluenza amongst others, I wasn't sure what there was to add. But Carl Honore proved me wrong by covering some aspects of the subject of living more slowly and mindfully that others had failed to mention, such as sex, gardening, cooking and music.

All in all, this was a delightful read and inspiring as well as fascinating.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I can add another couple to your list of 'to reads' I think, on this subject.
Timeless Simplicity by John Lane
The Good Life by Helen Nearing
Half way through the second one....its about their 60 years of self sufficiency (allbeit in America)and is a great read. Very inspiring!
I've read 'How to be Free'...an excellent read.
I'm all for slowing things down a bit.... I just wish the boys did too!!

Liz said...

They sound good, I'll add them to the list!

Cut&Alter said...

Sounds very interesting - another book to add to the ever expanding list! x